What is Hard Water?
Hard Water is water that has high concentrations of hardness causing ions, such as calcium, magnesium, and iron.
• Calcium & Chlorine: This chokes your hair at the root
• Magnesium: Takes the shine off your hair
• Sulfates: Strip natural oils
• Iron: Causes excessive dry feeling and changes hair texture
• Copper: Discolors your hair
• Silica: Forms a hard & insoluble deposit on surfaces
• Lead: Prevents chemical services, such as perms and colors, from processing
These mineral salts gradually break down the structure of your hair.
They absorb and crystallize inside wet hair. And when they dry, they make your hair brittle by sucking the moisture around it.
Weak and brittle hair lead to split ends and the straw like texture.
To make it worse: If you are blonde, you’re more likely to see your hair turn orange.
Water with high amounts of calcium and magnesium makes blonde hair brassy.
Here are more problems you face from water hardness:
• Less Soap Lather: Your soap is less efficient on minerals
• Scaly Film Layer: It creates a stubborn layer on your hair
• Conditioners Don’t Work: Conditioners cannot penetrate your hair
• Excessive Heat Styling: You have to blast up your flat iron temperature
• Hair Tone Changes: Brassy hair tone and dull colors
• Strips Natural Moisture: Abrasive salt strips moisture
• Scalp Build Up: Calcium accumulates on your scalp
• Heavy & Flat: You hair feels heavy and flat
• Dandruff: Flakes and dandruff will look obvious
• Hair loss: Blocked pores on your scalp cause hair loss
• Difficult To Brush: Makes your hair tangle after shower
Other problems caused by hard water:
- Scale deposits on metallic surfaces
- Dry Skin
- Decreased lathering of soaps
- Dingy clothing
- Damaged appliances
- Clogged Pipes